Part B SEP How Do I Use it?Special Enrollment Periods (SEPs) are periods of time outside normal enrollment periods where you can enroll in health insurance. They are typically triggered by specific circumstances.

The Part B SEP is a period of time when you can enroll in Medicare Part B after your initial enrollment period. You can use the Part B SEP while you are covered due to current work and for 8 months after you no longer have coverage from current work (job-based insurance). Using the Part B SEP also means you will not have to pay a Part B late enrollment penalty (LEP) (see Does Part B Have a Late Enrollment Penalty?). If you are considering delaying Part B enrollment because you have job-based insurance, make sure to also learn whether your coverage will be primary or secondary.

To use the Part B SEP, you must meet two criteria:

  1. You must have insurance from current work (from your job, your spouse’s job, or sometimes a family member’s job) or have had such insurance within the past eight months.
  2. And, you must have been continuously covered by job-based insurance or Medicare Part B since becoming eligible for Medicare, including the first month you became eligible for Medicare.

Note: You can have no more than eight consecutive months without coverage from either Medicare or insurance from current work. You are ineligible for the Part B SEP after going for more than eight months without Part B or job-based insurance.

In most cases, you should enroll in Medicare immediately after losing job-based insurance to avoid gaps in coverage, even though your SEP may last for several more months. Remember, even if you use the SEP to avoid a late enrollment penalty, you may still be responsible for any health care costs you incur in the months after losing job-based coverage, or after your coverage becomes secondary, before your Medicare coverage takes effect.

If you plan to delay enrollment into Part B and use the SEP later, keep records of your health insurance coverage. You will be required to submit proof of your enrollment in job-based insurance when accessing the SEP. Proof of enrollment in job-based insurance includes:

  • Written notice from your employer or plan.
  • Documents that show health insurance premiums paid, including W-2s, pay stubs, tax returns, and/or receipts.
  • Health insurance cards with the appropriate effective date.

Read Next: Health Savings Account (HSA) and Medicare.
Learn About: Retiree Insurance and Medicare.
Return to: Medicare Admin

This content was created and copyrighted by the Medicare Rights Center ©2021. Medicare Rights Center is a national, nonprofit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities. These materials are presented here with support from and may not be distributed, modified or edited without Medicare Rights’ consent. takes pride in providing you as much information as possible concerning your Medicare options, but only a health insurance broker licensed to sell Medicare can help you compare your plan options from various insurance companies. When you’re ready, we recommend you discuss your needs with a Licensed Sales Agent.