What Can I do to Appeal for a Part B Late Enrollment Penalty?

Like all Social Security enrollment decisions, you can appeal your Part B LEP. To appeal, follow the instructions on the notice that you received informing you of the penalty. In order to successfully appeal your penalty, you will need to prove that you were   enrolled either in Part B or in coverage through current employment during the period of time that you are being penalized for. If you can, have your employer fill out the CMS-L564 form, Request for Employment Information, showing that you or your spouse   were employed and you were covered by insurance through current employment during the time you are being penalized for.

If your appeal is unsuccessful, you will have the right to request a hearing by an administrative law judge (ALJ). Follow the instructions on you appeal denial to request an ALJ hearing.

Read Next: Does Part D Have a Late Enrollment Penalty?
Learn About: What Can I do to Appeal for a Part D Late Enrollment Penalty?
Return to: Medicare In-Depth

This content was created and copyrighted by the Medicare Rights Center ©2021. Medicare Rights Center is a national, nonprofit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities. These materials are presented here with support from YourMedicare.com and may not be distributed, modified or edited without Medicare Rights’ consent.

YourMedicare.com takes pride in providing you as much information as possible concerning your Medicare options, but only a health insurance broker licensed to sell Medicare can help you compare your plan options from various insurance companies. When you’re ready, we recommend you discuss your needs with a YourMedicare.com Licensed Sales Agent.