Does Medicare Cover Prescription Drugs That Are Prescribed for Mental Health Care?

To get Medicare prescription drug coverage, you must be enrolled in a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan. Part D is offered through private companies either as a stand-alone plan, for those enrolled in Original Medicare, or as a set of benefits included with a Medicare Advantage Plan. Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan plans vary in cost and in the specific drugs they cover.

Each plan has a list of covered drugs, called a formulary. You should check before joining a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan to ensure that any drugs you need are on that plan’s formulary. If your drug is not on the formulary, you may have to request an exception, pay out of pocket, or file an appeal to ask your plan to cover the drug. While Part D plans are not required to cover all drugs, they are required to cover all antidepressant, anticonvulsant, and antipsychotic medications (with limited exceptions).

Some medications used to treat substance use do not meet certain requirements for coverage under Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan. These medications can be covered by Part A during an inpatient stay or by Part B as part of medication-assisted treatment (MAT) at an opioid treatment program (OTP).

Read More: Does Medicare Cover Opioid Treatment Programs?
Learn About: How Do the Drug Management Programs Work Under Medicare?
Return to: Medicare In-Depth

This content was created and copyrighted by the Medicare Rights Center ©2021. Medicare Rights Center is a national, nonprofit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities. These materials are presented here with support from and may not be distributed, modified or edited without Medicare Rights’ consent. takes pride in providing you as much information as possible concerning your Medicare options, but only a health insurance broker licensed to sell Medicare can help you compare your plan options from various insurance companies. When you’re ready, we recommend you discuss your needs with a Licensed Sales Agent.