Where Can I Get Legal Assistance for Planning Future Care

You do not need a lawyer to create an advance directive, living will, or health care proxy. However, you may want legal assistance if you have unusual needs or you anticipate or know of disagreements among family members. If you want to create a power of attorney document that appoints a trusted individual to make decisions about your finances, you should consult a lawyer.

Elder law attorneys

Elder law attorneys focus on the legal needs of older people. Elder law is a broad field that encompasses estate planning, Medicare law, Medicaid law, insurance issues, nursing home issues, and planning for future health needs. You may want to get help from an elder law attorney if your situation is complex, you have substantial assets, or if you and your family members want more comprehensive assistance with estate and health care planning. You should make sure the lawyer you choose has the experience and is willing to focus on the issues that are most important to you.

You may want to ask your family and friends for elder law attorney recommendations. The following organizations may also be able to help:

  • The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) assists lawyers, bar associations, and others who work with older clients and their families. Their website offers referrals, tips, and resources for finding an elder law attorney. Visit www.naela.org to learn more.
  • The National Elder Law Foundation certifies elder law attorneys and can help you locate certified attorneys in your area. Visit www.nelf.org to learn more.
  • The American Bar Association (ABA) website has a Lawyer Locator tool that allows you to search for specialty lawyers in your area. Visit www.americanbar.org to learn more.
  • State bar associations may offer legal information and referrals.
  • Your Area Agency on Aging (AAA) may be able to provide guidance around legal issues and finding an attorney. Visit www.eldercare.acl.gov/Public/About/Aging_Network/AAA.aspx to find your local AAA.

If you have limited resources, you may be able to get free or low-cost legal help:

  • Legal aid societies offer free or low-cost help to qualifying older adults. You can find them in the phone book by searching under legal aid, or on the internet. Federally funded programs are listed on the website of the Legal Services Corporation (LSC). Visit www.lsc.gov to learn more.
  • State bar associations may offer reduced or free (pro bono) legal services.

Read Next: What Is the Importance of Having Future Care Wishes in Writing?
Learn About: How Does a Health Care Proxy Work?
Return to: Medicare Admin

Clicking third-party links will open a new tab and will take you away from YourMedicare.com. YourMedicare.com, LLC does not control the linked sites’ content or link.

This content was created and copyrighted by the Medicare Rights Center ©2021. Medicare Rights Center is a national, nonprofit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities. These materials are presented here with support from YourMedicare.com and may not be distributed, modified or edited without Medicare Rights’ consent.

YourMedicare.com takes pride in providing you as much information as possible concerning your Medicare options, but only a health insurance broker licensed to sell Medicare can help you compare your plan options from various insurance companies. When you’re ready, we recommend you discuss your needs with a YourMedicare.com Licensed Sales Agent.